Wednesday, March 2, 2011

FRDIAY MARCH 4, 2011 OH YES, IT'S LEGOS

"Act as a role model. Be willing to do the same things you ask others to do

- Deepak Chopra


Am I willing to do the same things I ask patients to do? The answer is an affirmative - Yes. I do adhere to a dietary and exercise lifestyle change. I wouldn't want to see a cardiologist who was overweight. I discuss self -esteem with every patient. I talk about a hobby boosting your own self esteem. I am your role model for Hobbies. I am the Hobby Poster Boy. Have you found a hobby yet? I am willing to do anything I ask of my patients. Why wouldn't I want to be a role model? Am I perfect ? The answer is NO. Remember there is NO perfection, only progress.













For as long as I can remember there have been these colorful plastic bricks that snap together to make larger structures. I have seen examples of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building as well as a camera and even Big Foot. Have you ever thought to play with Legos as an adult? It doesn't have to end with childhood. None of your childhood hobbies have to end! Have you ever wondered where Legos originated from? Well I did and I decided to do a little research.

Once you get involved with Legos it is addictive. It is not a health hazard addiction unless of course you start biting the Legos which I do not recommend. Once you get serious about your Lego building, you will be investing lots of time, energy and money into Legos. It is not a hobby you can pull out of your bag and do on the NYC transit system. I did that with my circular knitting needles this morning while going to work.


Legos began in a small town in Billund, Denmark in a little shop of Ole Kirk Christiansen. He was a furniture maker. Billund is the second largest town in Billund Municipality, Region of Southern Denmark. Denmark's population was 6,059 as of January 2010. Ole started building in 1932. He worked with his son, Godtfred. Their first company was called Kiddicraft. Godtfred took over the business in 1958, and Lego as we know it was born. The company is still located in Billund. The first Lego theme park was built in Billund in 1968, and a US theme park open in Carlsband, California in 1999. Many people I know are so enthusiastic that after their first one or two projects, they have joined Lego clubs. There is nothing weird about this. I have joined the Big Apple Knitters Guild as well as the New York City Bee Association. A hobby is a hobby is a hobby.


The official site for all your Lego needs is http://www.lego.com/


If you want to see what one individual, Brendan Powell Smith did with his Legos check out his book, The Brick Testament (2003). I personally prefer Allan Bedford's The Unofficial Lego Builder's Guide (2005) So what if it is the unofficial guide- it is a great book for the Lego enthusiast.

Last night I had a meeting with Meryl. I told her about the Friday Hobby blog and today's topic. She suggested if anyone wants to buy a Lego pin they check out this web site:


A great web site! Kudos

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment