Tuesday, March 1, 2011

WEDNESDAY MARCH 2, 2011 MY BEST FRIENDS












"A POSITIVE ATTITUDE IS A PERSON'S PASSPORT TO A BETTER TOMORROW."


Positive and negative attitudes. We all have them. I try to the best of my ability to be positive or 'always in the best light' on a daily basis. I try to check my own personal feelings at the entrance to my office. It is hard but I do try. A positive attitude goes a long way. It is the only way to start a day--with a positive attitude and positive mantra. If you wake up feeling 'ugggh' start the day over when you feel better. I have weeded out people--friends, acquaintances and even family that always carry a negative energy. I do not need negative energy around me. We all have a certain amount of negative attitudes. I do something about mine! I might grab a needlepoint if feeling low, or do 'Knit 1/Purl 2', or 'Knit 2/Purl 2' (to make ribbing). In other words, I go to my hobby. I think the reason I have a positive attitude is that I meditate each and every morning.


The Eleventh Step Prayer of St. Francis

"Lord make me a channel of thy peace -- that where there is hatred, I may bring love -- that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness -- that where there is discord, I may bring harmony -- that where there is error, I may bring truth -- that where there is doubt, I may bring faith -- that where there is despair, I may bring hope -- that where there are shadows, I may bring light -- that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.

Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted -- to understand, than to be understood -- to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven. It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life."



I have great discussions with my patients concerning a variety of topics. One of those topics is their pets. I could not think of a better subject (excluding plants/herbs, of course). I have been around pets my whole life. An animal provides unconditional love. My Amazon Green Parrot, Gracie provides unconditional love. On Sunday we shared a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.

There are some veterinarians who choose aromatherapy an herbal medicines to treat many ailments. Kudos to them!! As a practicing herbalist I agree with the use of many herbs for dog ailments.

The canine - human bond is strong--no doubt about that. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years. I see our dogs as part of the family. Perhaps more so now than years ago. Cary, Jack, Spencer and even Gracie have become "stand ins" for the children. Our animals are cherished and Rick and I are privileged and blessed to have pets. The bond is reciprocal. We dote on our animals and they in turn give us love, affection, obedience (sometimes) and loyalty.

I never used aromatherapy with the older dogs. Grant, a Maltese 16 year old male and Jack, a Yorkshire terrier 14 year old male have never been exposed to herbs or aromatherapy. I have used herbs and aromatherapy with Spencer our 4 year old male King Charles Cavalier. Did you know that in the wild, wolves and wild dogs seek out plants to boost their energy?

Spencer has been having itchy ears from wax buildup. He is very allergic to the environment. I have been giving him stinging nettles. I believe that Spencer has fungal overgrowth and infection in his ears. I decided to use an essential oil mixture of lavender, roman chamomile, mullein and tea tree in a base of aloe vera. Very soothing. I rubbed it on his tummy and his sore ears have been much better.

These herbs and oils are used for similar human ailments. I just dilute the oils and use for the dogs. I am not a veterinarian, but I am an animal advocate.

The following Canine Otic Cleanser has also been used:
1. 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
2. 1/2 oz (15 ml) aloe vera
3. 1/2 oz ( 15ml ) organic apple cider vinegar
4. 1/2 oz (15 ml) Witch Hazel Hydrosol
5. 10 drops Grapefruit seed extract
6. 4 drops of Lavender essential oil
7. 2 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil
8. 7 drops of Bergamot (Citrus bergamia essential oil)

Spray into the dogs ears. NEVER USE your fingers, Q tips, or cotton balls in dogs' ears. Remember never put anything smaller than your elbow in your dog's ear.
I recommend 3 web sites to get formulas both in essential oils and hydrosols.
Here they are:
1. Acqua Vita http://www.acqua-vita.com/
2. Anatolian Treasures http://www.av-at.com/
3. Nature's Gift http://www.naturesgift.com/

Wouldn't it be great if caged animals at the zoo or in a shelter had aromatherapy misters from the ceiling into their cages.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment