Saturday, March 5, 2011

MARCH 7, 2010 FLOURIDE - GOOD OR BAD?










"A man must have faith in himself to be of any use in the world. There may be very little on which to base it --no matter, but faith in one's power, in one's mission is essential to success. Confidence once won, the rest follows naturally; and with a strong faith in himself a man becomes a local centre for its radiation."

Sir William Osler -1910


In order to build your self esteem and have self love you must have faith in yourself. At one point or another we all have had low self esteem. At a critical point in my life I doubted my faith in a Higher Power. In retrospect I had no faith in myself. I cannot tell you when and how it happened but I know it was related to my addictions at that time in my life. I doubted everything about me. I doubted my role as a father, partner, son and physician. I was bankrupt physically, emotionally and spiritually. Upon entering a twelve step program, and practicing the first step I got better physically first. Secondly I began to heal emotionally. My spirituality was the last aspect for me to bring back into my life. How spiritual are you? Yet, when Dr. William Osler states, "faith in one's power and in one's mission is essential to success," you cannot help but have those words echo in your mind over and over again. He was not only a physician but a man with humility. It is no wonder why his teachings survive through his valued axioms that all seem to capture the essence of the finest principles of education, medicine, character, faith and his philosophy of life. The key is faith in yourself in every capacity of your life.

Environmental toxins alter our genes and cause disease. One such toxin is fluoride. Do we need fluoride? Fluoride is a chemical compound of the element fluorine (symbol Fl on the Periodic Table) that is found naturally in food, water and air. We all are exposed to fluoride from a variety of sources including our water supply (if added), pesticides, ceramics and much more. It has been stated that there are beneficial and detrimental effects of Fluoride. What I do not understand is that 97 % of Europe has chosen not to add fluoride to their water while the United States is still debating the subject. Europe is far ahead of the United States in using herbs as medicines as well. I do understand the US debate over fluoride since its exposure causes thyroid, diabetic and bone abnormalities (especially osteoporosis). More important are the negative effects of fluoride on the brain. The Fluoride Action Network (FAN) educates the public about the effects of fluoride. Dental fluorosis (see above photograph) is a reflection of what's happening in our bones and is the first visible sign of fluoride poisoning.

In January 2011, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HSS) recommended reducing the level of fluoride added to drinking water from a range of 0.7-1.2 ppm to 0.7 ppm. The recommendation was based on new survey data that found significantly high levels of dental fluorosis in adolescents: 41% of 12-15 year olds have it. The public was given 30 days to submit comments on the proposal. That deadline has passed and HHS has extended the comment period to April 15. So check out the FAN and make your voice heard.

There are numerous studies documenting the detrimental effects of fluoride on the brain, IQ, and cognitive function. I would not be surprised if Fluoride is involved in Alzheimer's and/or Parkinson's Disease. The mechanism of the damage to the brain remains unclear. More research needs to be done. Be a strong voice for Mother Earth and protect her. What we do to clean up the environment now will affect our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and the next 7 generations. You personally will not be here to reap the benefits, but YOUR VOICE MATTERS TODAY!

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment