Wednesday, March 9, 2011

MARCH 11, 2011 YOUR OPTIMAL HEALTH IN 365 DAYS













"Life isn't always fair, but do not let that stop you from making the world a better place every chance you get."


One year ago, I challenged myself with the advice of a wise, loving man- Rick. Since life is not always fair, the blog is one of my contributions to making the world a better place. I have found 365 days later that I am happier in the knowledge that I might have changed one person's life. I have discussed a variety of topics. For me, the goal is healing of the mind, body and spirit.

Spirituality involves the recognition and acceptance of a Higher Power (you can chose what to call him/her/it) beyond our own intelligence and with whom you can have a relationship. Spiritual healing, prayer healing, and emotional healing have been proven to have a profound effect on our health. As a sober man for nearly seventeen years I began to study life. My spiritual journey has led me to study life.


The herb that opened my eyes and launched my study herbs and botany was Lily of the Valley. It was my mother's favorite flower and I can remember these delicate white flowers growing all around a statue of Mary in the front garden of my childhood home every spring. I have been studying, researching and using herbs for many years. My enlightenment on herbs began in 2005 with Tierna LowDog and continued with 7song. These two herbalists have directly influenced my work with patients.

I must thank you- the reader. I have to acknowledge the Great Tradition, the wisdom of ages and the healing plants that God created.



Happy 1st Anniversary to 'Anything Worth Learning is Self Taught'


So, if you are reading this blog for the first time and you want to start using one herb, then I suggest an herb that most of you know. Echinacea (Echinacea angustifolia, purpurea). Most of you thought I might have said Chamomille. I feel every medicine cabinet should have some. Rick and I have a closet full of tinctures and loose herbal teas in jars. Every medical text book at the turn of the century cited the use of echinacea for every disease. To this day I know patients who rely on echinacea and goldenseal for colds and flu.


If you decide to use echinacea, it must be taken at the first sign of a cold, flu or infection. Most individuals take echinacea in capsule or tincture, but it is most effective if used as a tea. I guarantee you will not like the taste. That is why I use wild flower honey in echinacea tea. For acute sinusitis, use one half cup every 3 hours during acute infection. If you use a capsule- use 500mg each hour for 3 hours at the first sign of infection, then decrease the dosage. I would continue to use it for 10 days. Since antibiotics are over prescribed, this is a better treatment and for me more effective. There is some need for oral or intravenous antibiotics for serious infections but I think physicians over prescribe antibiotics and are creating resistant strains of bacteria.


Everyone thinks tinctures should be in alcohol instead of glycerin. I agree. As a sober individual I must be cautious in using alcoholic tinctures in sober individuals. I wouldn't want a tincture to cause anyone to start using alcohol regularly. If you are prescribed a tincture in alcohol and you are sober, please discuss this with your sponsor. Research by the German E Commissions has shown that some herbal constituents soluble in alcohol and not in water are immune stimulating. I have found this is also true of the herbal adaptogens.


Photographs:


Top: T. Low Dog, MD RH

Middle: 7song RH

Bottom: Echinacea


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment