Wednesday, March 9, 2011

MARCH 12, 2011 PAINT BY NUMBERS








"You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserves your love and affection"
-Buddha


Love yourself. Increase your self-esteem by starting and most of all completing a hobby project. Not every one is artistic. I never thought I was until I started needle pointing. I soon began to design my own canvases. This hobby continues to delight me.


So what about painting. I do not think I could do that. So I stamp and use water colors. So far that is the extent of my painting. I have suggested Paint By Number to some of my patients. Remember when life was without computers, cell phones and iPads and we actually did Paint by Number? My father had a heart attack in the early 1960's. At that time, doctors and hospitals kept heart patients in the CCU for 3 weeks. When he came home my mother bought him a Paint by Number Kit. He did two dogs. I can see them now. I believe they were Spaniels. I remember finding them in the attic many years later.

Is Paint by Number creating your own piece of art? Of course it is. It is not just about filling in some numbered areas. You use your own hand, hold the brush so delicately and dab the numbered areas so carefully onto the canvas. Try it - it is not as simple and easy as it sounds. The paint by number canvas might look quite abstract at the beginning, but as you finish it all comes together.

Paint by Number might be your first introduction into the world of painting. I have seen Paint by Number wane in popularity over the last 10 years, but it is always a good hobby suggestion for my patients.


Nearly 62 years ago in Detroit, a 24 year old named Dan Robbins produced the first Paint by Number Kit. He was an illustrator and designer of children's books. It was a fun hobby in the 1950's as can be seen in early television shows like Leave it to Beaver, Make Room for Daddy and The Dick Van Dyke Show.


Brushes off to Dan Robbins !!

Until tomorrow... I must search the Internet for a Paint by Number

No comments:

Post a Comment