Tuesday, March 22, 2011

MARCH 28, 2011 RESTLESS LEGS




"When the world says, 'Give Up' HOPE whispers, 'Try it one more time'."


I have had HOPE whisper in my ear on more than one occasion. On my darkest days when hope seemed gone, I would hum the Frank Sinatra lyrics, "Pick Yourself Up, Dust yourself off, and start all over again." How many times did I hum those lyrics? Too many to count. But I had hope. I had a spiritual awakening in those darkest days. Movies and novels are written about the despair, sorrow and sadness of those days. I had everything happen except the dogs barking and biting at my rear. Why was I spared? Perhaps the guardian angels of my mother Vincetta, Katie, my great aunt and Josephine, my Nanny, were looking down and decided to give me one more chance. Having faith--more than hope is the key to survival. Faith...in nature, in Mother Earth, or whatever you choose to call G.O.D. can be the answer. I am very grateful for my life today.


Restless leg syndrome. This is a real condition. For those who suffer from it, Restless leg syndrome (RLS) it can occur anytime. RLS or Wittmaack–Ekbom syndrome is characterized by an irresistible urge to move one's body to stop uncomfortable or odd sensations. It most commonly affects the legs, but can affect the arms, and the torso. Moving the affected body part modulates the sensations, providing temporary relief. RLS causes a sensation most closely compared to a burning, itching, or tickling in the muscles. It is a "spectrum" disease with some people experiencing only a minor annoyance and others experiencing major issues. There is a genetic component to the disease (before the age of 50) and some have connected it with Parkinson's disease

I feel conventional medications are a band-aid, as we really do not have the 'wonder drug' for RLS. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the marketing of drug for this syndrome.

Tests have suggested that serum levels of both ferretin and folate are involved in nutritional aspects of Restless legs syndrome .The levels of these nutrients within cells may not be relevant, nor, apparently, are levels of hemoglobin or free iron. Administration of iron and folate in deficiency cases can provide some relief and sometimes resolve the problem entirely . I also check for heavy metals in the body by doing a serum (blood) test and even a 6 hr provocative urine test.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment