Sunday, March 20, 2011

MARCH 25, 2011 SEED PLANTING TIPS















"There are benefits that should accompany old age. Fairly good health to the end, an unceasing interest in life, and the affectionate esteem of a large circle of friends." - Samuel Wilks, In Men and Books on William Osler, 6.


I pray that I am in fairly good health to the end. If I continue my already unceasing interest in life that I have today I will be fine. I see many older patients who have good health and a fond interest in life and hobbies. Depending on their age, their circle of friends can be large or small. Usually as my patients get older, the larger circle of friends dwindles. I do know that my Poppy's vegetable garden on the side of my childhood home kept him in good spirits into his nineties. He prided himself in his tomatoes every season. When he had company over to visit, each left with a brown bag of tomatoes. His smile was infectious.

More than 70 % of my patients have a hobby that boosts their self esteem. One of the most common hobbies is gardening. Two of my long time apartments in New York City have had outdoor space for a garden. One day I returned from work to find a pond with a stream of water on river rocks built by Rick and my son,Gregory. At the top was a Chinese maple tree. Today, on our Roosevelt Island terrace we have the opportunity to plant an herb garden and flowering plants in pots.


Do you start with seed packets? I think it is better to start with seeds. Everyone can buy the potted plants and herbs, but I find it more gratifying to plant from seeds. I have already started buying my seeds from http://www.botanicalinterests.com/

Here are some tips to give your seeds a successful start.

1. Pick containers. I prefer to buy them from a catalog. I usually get cowpots from Botanical Interests.

2. You will need a quality seed starting mix . It should be finely milled to provide good drainage.

3. Check the back panel to see if your seeds require light or dark to germinate.

4. Always maintain adequate moisture.

5. If growing indoors you will need 14-16 hours of fluorescent light. The lights should be placed 1 - 2 inches above the seedlings.

6. Once the first true leaves appear and there is no danger of any more early morning frost you can start to transplant them outside. I prefer starting outdoors as indoor seedlings are fragile. Growing in the cowpots outside makes hardier plants.

7. If you start outdoors you must start when you are sure there will be no more frost.

8. If starting outdoors use average garden soil with well-aged compost.

9. Follow the back label seed packet directions for spacing

10. Water daily. Newly sown seeds might need water twice a day. Check them often.

You will enjoy your garden. Be proud of your accomplishment.


Until tomorrow...


Elizabeth Taylor (1931 - 2011) - Beauty, eyes, style, performances - Legend





No comments:

Post a Comment