Wednesday, March 9, 2011

MARCH 10, 2011 SEAWEED:THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE








In the Time of your life, Live

Seek goodness everywhere

And when it is found

Bring it out of its hiding place

And let it be free and unashamed

Discover in all things that which shines

and is beyond corruption

Be the inferior of NO man or of any men be superior

Remember that every man is a variation of Yourself

In the time of your life, Live

So in that wonderous time

You shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world

Yet shall smile to the indefinite delight and mystery of it.

--William Saroyan


I am always amazed how music and lyrics can transcend all our differences-language, culture, sexual orientation, and politics- we are not straight or gay, republicans or democrats. Some of us are Americans. I am from the United States . I challenged myself one year ago to write a blog every day. It has been my honor, delight, love and privilege to do this. I sometimes complain of certain things. I have come to look at the glass as half full- maybe just for minutes, seconds or moments. But it is there. I see this in the unconditional love of a pet when Spencer runs to the door, the un-capturable scent of a rose, in a baby's smile, watching Rick's glow as he brings home a new self created flower arrangement, the bees buzzing and now in hearing the voice of my adult children on the phone. It is important for me to find these moments every day and be grateful for them.

For the last two months I have been researching the benefits of seaweed. I have discussed seaweed when discussing the benefits of a source of iodine for the thyroid since most Americans are iodine deficient. I want you to consider improving your diet by ingesting seaweed. When I first read about seaweed and thought of ingesting it, I became nauseous. However, after tasting seaweed and learning about all the health benefits I encourage you to add it in your diet.
Why add seaweed to your diet? Seaweed contains a multitude of minerals and vitamins. It is a powerful antioxidant with benefits to the cardiovascular, respiratory, endocrine, digestive, and musculoskeletal systems.

For the cardiovascular system , seaweed is high in minerals. The algin in brown seaweed has been shown in some studies to dissolve plaque. Fucoidan has been shown to prevent the formation of clots.

For the endocrine system it is great to support the thyroid if you need more iodine. Each weed is different so be careful. If you are taking any thyroid supplementation , conventional medications , thyrotropin or Iodoral (by Standard Process), or natural thyroid please use caution in taking seaweed.

For the digestive system there is the seaweed species Laminaria also called kombu that can break down indigestable sugars in beans that cause flatulence. So if you are one of these bean 'farters' try this seaweed. Remember beans are an excellent source of protein. I have used kelp for gastric and duodenal ulcers. I have never used kelp alone. I combine it with marshmallow, aloe vera and meadowsweet.

I have one patient who has always told me to eat Nori. She states she cooks it a long long time. She has degenerative disc disease and swears it is relieved and has reversed since she began consuming Nori.

For those patients with heavy metals who do not want to take a 'chelator' as EDTA or DMSA, seaweed is a natural chelator. However, natural chelators like seaweed do not work quickly. Other natural chelators for heavy metals include parsley and cilantro.


Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Like your note, but am curious about they type and form (cooked, raw, in the bath, etc.) you would recommend. Also, I plan to try the coral legend that you suggested to me in my appointment, but have been reading very mixed reviews online regarding coral calcium in general (e.g., it's repackaged limestone, etc.). Any thoughts on this subject?

    ReplyDelete