Thursday, March 17, 2011

MARCH 18, 2011 RUBBER STAMPING

"Mental healing can be valuable." - Sir William Osler


Although mental healing has been used for centuries with good results, I added a different dimension- The Hobby. Hobbies are healing in their own right. Not only does it boost your self-esteem when a project is completed, but its a great value as a measure of healing one's soul in suitable cases. Everyone can do a hobby. The trick is finding the suitable one for each patient. I can only SUGGEST ideas for hobbies. Science can not supply the heart as Dr. Osler pointed out in one of his famous lectures. To expand on his words-- The heart can be supplied, often miraculously to heal one's wounds. I have seen it accomplished by finding a hobby for yourself. This is your own hobby. You might make a new friend, or perhaps a new partner in this new discovered hobby. The best part is that you will find the little boy or little girl within yourself no matter what age you are.





Do you remember doing rubber stamping with a potato when you were a child? I do. You cut an image, like a star on the potato and used ink and to stamp the image onto paper. I did this in Cub Scouts. My mother was a den mother. She always had many crafty ideas for us in cub scouts. I even remember making candy dishes from melting old records in the oven. We molded different shapes for our candy dishes. I wonder now how toxic to our lungs that project was. I remember using Readers Digest magazines to make Christmas angels and trees by folding the corners of each page. Not as toxic until you used the Spray Paint!


I have done Rubber Stamping using a stamp block to make my own cards and stationery. But this art form can go beyond card making by stamping walls, furniture and even your clothing depending on the type of ink or dye you use. Dye based inks are less expensive than pigment. The metallic inks impart clean edges. I use a variety of different inks. I use Craft Smart, Color Box and the premier of all inks: Stazon. The expense does depend on where you buy them. I often shop at Michael's (now in NYC) and AC Moore. The rubber stamps are often mounted on wood for easy gripping. These are more expensive, but come in a wide variety of shapes. You can purchase the less expensive ones and mount them on foam before using them. You can also take them on and off acrylic mounts (which I do prefer for easy storage).


You can do almost anything with rubber stamps. I made greeting cards for all different occasions and sold them at the Cherry Grove Art Sale for charity. You can get very creative with types of paper you use, the layering of the various types of papers, and added bonuses. I added small rattles for Baby cards, and put Christmas ornaments on the Holiday cards. I even used stitching on my cards. My crafty friend, Carol and I started this together. We went to a Stamp Fair in Long Island. We boarded the bus in front of Ink Pad at 22 8th Avenue, New York City. We even got a stamping bag from the store as an added bonus and off we went. This is the only year in four years that we didn't go as we each had prior engagements. We can't miss next year as we both made great cards. I love her cards. I tend to make 40 at one time, where Carol devotes more time and creativity to a few cards at a time.

The history of rubber stamping dates back to 1844. We have to give credit to the process of curing rubber to Charles Goodyear. He experimented with cooking rubber and sulphur together and discovered that the elasticity held. Rubber stamping is used in banks, offices and in post offices. The scrapbookers (another hobby) use rubber stamping in their book creations. There are clubs, magazines and countless aisles at Michael's devoted to rubber stamping.

It can get expensive so find someone who also stamps and share materials. You will need card and envelope stock, stamps, inks and perhaps some 'extras' for your cards. 'Extras' may be items such as personal photos. Martha Stewart has a lot of the added items, cutters, and objects for your cards. I used quilling on some of my cards.

Make a special card for someone today.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment