Monday, August 1, 2011

AUGUST 1, 2011 MARRIAGE EQUALITY









"Commitment in the face of conflict produces character" - unknown

If you read this blog daily you know I am passionate about my work. I am more passionate about my patients. But not until you actually see me in my office will you know the extremity of my passion. I am also passionate about your health as I am about my own. G.O.D. gave me two hands - one to help individuals and the other to help me. I believe that the psycho social issues are as important as the medical issues. It is the fusion of Venn diagrams uniting Body, Mind and Spirit.

After New York passed same sex marriage legislation last month, many individuals were excited, especially the older LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) individuals. There have been LGBT couples who have been together for more than 40 years who can now finally be accepted. I feel that until recently the whole LGBT community focus was on the youth and their problems. Since the senior LGBT are becoming moire visible, there needs to more focus on this group.

I feel like Liza Minnelli in her song, Old Friends asking, "Do you know any old people?" She answers, "I know plenty!" I now ask, " Do you know any senior gay individuals?" I answer - "I know plenty." Through my five years of medical volunteer work in Cherry Grove, Fire Island, I know many senior LGBT patients. I am not a senior but in 10 years I will be. I know LGBT seniors now in their 60's, 70's and 80's. If you think about this, many of these senior LGBT seniors were not out in their youth. Their youth was in the 30's and 40's. These men and women did not have actors portraying gay characters on television and in the movies. The closest was Ms. Danders in Rebecca, or Marlene Dietrich in Blond Venus or her with her co-star Gary Cooper in.....I just forgot the movie. Who were the actors who were gay men on the screen? Dick York in Bewitched. Today gay youth have plenty to discuss. Will on Will and Grace, Rupert Everett as a father/donor to Madonna in The Next Best Thing. And Kurt, the out gay young man on Glee.

Marriage equality is the first step in many to be taken. The LGBT seniors need assurance that they will be accepted in a nursing home or senior center when the time comes. There is an unimpressed sense of vulnerability as in all elder patients, but for the LGBT senior it is more frightening. LGBT Seniors need more assurance than words. I cannot blame them. I, too want all the assurance that I will be treated fairly when I am a senior. Today heterosexual seniors, single or married have less medical coverage due to physicians no longer taking their insurances. I wonder if a Nursing Home intake form asks about their sexuality, or do they assume that every senior is straight.

The question I ask is about the legislation from 1996 that Former President Bill Clinton signed defining marriage as an act between one man and one woman. What happens if two gay men get married in NY and deal with federal Medicaid laws? Since the Defense of Marriage Act states man and woman, what happens to two gay men and if each wants Medicaid insurance as a secondary after their Medicare? Will they be denied? These issues must be resolved.


Until tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment