Wednesday, August 17, 2011

AUGUST 19, 2011 STARGAZING- A NATURAL CONNECTION












"Our spiritual task is to become less rigid in our attachments and more accepting of the flow of life."


I have tried to become less rigid and perfect in my daily life. It is a difficult task for anyone especially for one, like me, who used to try to be perfect. I am NOT perfect. I know that today. I am more accepting of the general flow of life.


Life has its twists and turns as sometimes we each must learn. Life is nothing but a ball of yarn. I used to cut the threads of my needlepoint and instead of putting them in the garbage, put them in a large old glass medicine jar. As the thread piled up in different colors, I realized this is what life is all about. It is confusing, yet adventurous. It is a puzzle. We must each try to put the pieces of this jigsaw puzzle together. I am ready to accept anything at this point in my life. It could be a variety of events and circumstances. Life is out of my control. I do not control life. There is truth and there is someone's perception of the truth. I now know the truth. I have been as truthful as I could be to the best of my ability in my 17 years of sobriety. I am not here to change life. I will now flow with life. If my Higher Power wants that, then it shall be.

I have been thinking of a hobby that can be adventurous, meditative, science orientated and even done outdoors. It was difficult for me until I thought of the telescope that sits on the porch in Cherry grove, Fire Island. It is stargazing or constellation finding. In Fire Island compared to New York City, I can look up into the sky and see a multitude of stars. Remember when you were a child--were you fascinated by the spectacular performance every night. It was especially visible in the summer months. Try looking up the sky tonight instead of turning on any one of the reality TV shows, American Idol or Iron Chef. (You can turn on Glee, though.)

Stargazing does not even require telescope if you do not want to spend the money. Every night can be a thrill. You must remember because of the Earth's rotation , you can see different things from the same position on different nights. That is unique in itself. Did you study astronomy in high school or college ? I know my 6th grade Earth Science course covered some astronomy. Remember Copernicus and Galileo? Do you remember how many constellations there are? I didn't so I had to look it up. There are 88 constellations and millions of stars.

Have you ever seen a falling star and made a wish? Have you ever seen a comet? What made me think to even write about stargazing was while I was reading Anatomy of an Addiction last night. This book discusses the cocaine addiction of two leading physicians-Sigmund Freud and William Halstead. In the book, Freud discussed that Mark Twain was born and died on the appearance of Haley's Comet. I do not know if I will be around at the next return of the Haley's comet in 2061. I could be on this Earth at age 101, but I sincerely doubt it. I actually hope that I am not here. I know my G.O.D. chosen profession will end, as the angels need some care since the angels have cared for so many. The Haley's comet apparition happens every 75 to 76 years. The last sighting was in 1986. I was in my medical residency program at that point with my mind on medicine, not comets. Too bad-- I would have loved to witness this comet.


Tonight you cannot see the stars due to the clouds. You can see the lightening and hear the thunder. I used to say that was G.O.D. bowling with the angels. The thunder was the strike or spare. The lightening was the bowling ball hitting the head pin. What fun that must be!


Obtain good binoculars or telescope. Get an astronomy book and star chart. Start to name the constellations. About 6-7 years ago, Gaga wanted Rick and I to buy something as a gift from her to us. It was so sweet. We bought a Telstar Telescope. It is on the porch in Fire Island to view the stars. She was one of those shining stars in Rick's life. She is missed. I have been telling a patient of mine who teaches astronomy that I want to audit her class. I will be doing that in September if she is going to teach. I want to be in a classroom again...

Until tomorrow...
Photograph 1: (top) Haley's comet

Photograph 2: Constellation Chart

Photograph 3: Big and Little Dipper (The brightest star in the Big Dipper is the North Star)

Photograph 4: Orion's Belt (A constellation)






1 comment:

  1. This is one of my absolutely favorite songs: Constellations by Jack Johnson:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AOQ9jXC6iE

    I hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete