Wednesday, August 3, 2011

AUGUST 5, 2011 YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH NATURE





























"Things do not change, we change." - Kalidasa






Have you changed over time? I think we all change over time. Sometimes we are changing and do not even realize it. I feel people notice changes in me that at times I do not even notice. That makes me feel good. Sometimes I feel I haven't changed. The problems in life will always be there, but how we approach the problems is different. This is change. I used to react very quickly to comments; now I act instead of react. I take actions for myself. I continually try to better myself. I continually try to learn. I want to propose the following:



Did you know that trees talk? Well they do. They talk to each other, and they'll talk to you if you listen. Trouble is, white people don't listen. They never learned to listen to the Indians so I do not suppose they'll listen to other voices in nature. But I heave learned a lot from trees; sometimes about the weather, sometimes about animals, sometimes about the Great Spirit."



- McLuhan ( 1982)



How does McLuhan make you feel? Do you feel angry that he said white people? Do you think he is crazy that trees can talk? Can you accept the statement? What do you make of this statement? When I first read this I was intrigued. I was not angry. To me, it seemed sophisticated and genuine. I never thought much about trees until 8 years ago, when I started to develope a relationship with nature. My relationship began in Arizona, continued throughout the United States, until I landed in a classroom in Ithaca. I do not expect everyone to study herbs or have beekeeping as a hobby, but I do want my patients to have some connection and interaction with nature. I am not ashamed to tell you I hug trees and say thank you. Sure, it sounds crazy, but I love to do that. Did you ever hug a tree?




One way to develop your relationship with nature would be to do some gardening. Many who live in cities do not have the extra space for their own garden, but there is likely a community garden to consider joining. Another possibility is sitting in a garden. Perhaps Central Park or any other park in your area. If near a beach you can walk on the beach, watch the sea, watch the night sky on a beach, count the stars, and even observe sunrises and sunsets. For the more adventurous, there is camping out in the wilderness, or hiking in the hills or mountains.




"Art and luxury have early learned that they must work as enhancement and sequel to this original beauty." - Emerson (1844)





On a daily basis I want to be in awe and wonder by connecting with nature. You must come to realize that nature is the original and ultimate source of human inspiration and creativity. Immediately I think of Monet's painting of water lilies.





Until tomorrow...





Photograph credit:
Photographs 2- 4: Thank you 7 song; The flowers are skullcap. A beautiful example.

No comments:

Post a Comment