Monday, August 15, 2011

AUGUST 17, 2011 HERBS FOR THE OVERACTIVE THYROID







"Believe you can and you are halfway there." - Theodore Roosevelt



Believing in yourself and thinking of doing a task is 50% of the work. The other 50% is doing the work. Just believing in yourself and having self esteem can do wonders. Do you have a low self esteem? We all have at one point in our lives! What was happening at that time in your life? How much stress where you under? What was your relationship status at that time? Were you happy? Think of a goal you want to complete. Believe that you can accomplish that goal. Then start the goal to finish what you thought of. Good luck !


Most herbalists discuss remedies for the under active thyroid, but recently I heard a lecture on Hyperthyroid Botanicals (over active). I was keen on listening to this lecture as I have many patients with thyroid issues. The fatigue, low body temperature, weight gain, depression, heat or cold intolerance (usually cold), and hair loss are symptoms of a thyroid which is under active (an under active thyroid has thyroid stimulating hormone levels greater than 4.0)

With an overactive thyroid, the most important clinical aspect is to control the cardiovascular signs and symptoms such as an overactive heart rate (pulse rate) and an elevated blood pressure. Unfortunately not many herbalists deal with hyperthyroid conditions. I get many patients who have been told by other doctors dealing with their overactive thyroid, "You have two options- radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid or surgical remove the thyroid, thus you will be on medications for the rest of your life."

Although these are two conventional methods still used today, the use of some natural herbs in high doses can reverse and/or cool down the hyperactive thyroid.

I have seen patients respond within a few months, some within a year and rarely beyond two years unless the presenting hyperthyroidism is very severe. Harvey W. Felter, ecletic physician, wrote this about bugleweed, "...used for vascular excitement with rapid, tumultuous action of the heart, but lacking power." I love to read old uses of herbs. I especially enjoy Culpepper and Sauer.



Lycopus virginicus (Bugleweed) can be used for both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid. It has been shown to reduce thyroid levels in hyperthyroid animals. The dose is high - about 150 drops of a 1:3 extract. The aerial parts of the plant are used. Bugleweed is specific for the over-active thyroid where the symptoms include tightness of breath, shaking and palpitations. For the wild crafter it should be collected just before the buds open. It is a great nervine and I have used it with valerian. I also have used this herb with other cardio tonic herbs for slowing down the heart rate.

Another herb, Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) helps in decreasing anxiety and calming an overactive thyroid. I use both lemon balm and bugleweed together. In animal studies, lemon balm has been shown to reduce or normalize the TSH levels. It is given at 45 drops of a 1:3 extract. I love the plant family that lemon balm belongs to --Lamiaceae . This is the same family for the all the mint plants. There is no history for use of lemon balm in thyroid diseases, but I have seen other herbalists use it, and I have also used it with good success. Other than its thyroid use, lemon balm is antiviral especially herpes simplex. There has been new exciting studies for its use in Alzheimer's Disease. Honestly, I have only heard about these studies, I must do more reading on its use in AD.


Blue flag (Iris versicolor) This is a lymphatic herb which is not written about as frequently as other herbs in its thyroid function. It is a potent detoxifier. It is very helpful for goiters and nodules. The amount used is also high dose 45 drops of a 1:6 extract. I can always count on Mathew Wood, The Earthwise Herbal for answers. Both the Old World and New World Iris were used by the Europeans and Indians, respectively as purgatives. The taste is a pungent bitter. There is some discussion on its use for an enlarged thyroid gland.


I always look to see if any the herbs above are mentioned in Duke's Medicinal Plants of the Bible. Bugleweed, Lemon Balm and Blue Flag were NOT discussed in the Duke book. However, the Yellow Flag (Iris pseudacorus ) was mentioned. According to Duke, the yellow flag has been equated with the Lily of Hosea by some authorities.


"He shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots of Lebanon." - Hosea 14:5 (KJV)



If you have a thyroid problem I would seek other alternatives such as herbs, natural thyroids, acupuncture, yoga, energy medicine and treatment of anger/resentment issues. I haven't met a individual who has thyroid problems who doesn't haven't anger and resentment issues.





Until tomorrow...

The first needle point was given to a dear friend. The second needle point canvas above is nearly complete. I painted it by myself. It is my version of an iris. In my needle point years, this is the third 'iris canvas' I have completed. I do irises as these are one of Rick's favorite flowers. I have always done The Blue Flag. I never have done the Yellow Flag, but when I do my next Iris, I will do the Yellow Flag.












1 comment:

  1. The worst thing about hypothyroidism is, my hair was falling out, and I was very irritable. Good thing my physician told me to take some desiccated porcine capsules. Now I can move faster and my hair has stopped falling.

    ReplyDelete