Tuesday, August 9, 2011

AUGUST 12, 2011 STAINED GLASS AS A HOBBY




















"What happens is not as important as how you react to what happens." - Thaddeus Golas






There will always be something happening whether you want it to or not. The important thing is to learn how you react to what happens. I have come to believe that 'action' is always better than 'reaction'. Sometimes if you react too fast you will regret something you say or do. Instead, think about 'the happening', quiet your mind and then take thoughtful action. If I could take back some of my reactions from the past, I certainly would...but I cannot. I can make amends to those I may have reacted too hastily to. If I cannot do it directly to the party involved, I can do it in prayer and meditation.




Have you ever seen stained glass and said, "I wish I could do that!" The oldest piece of stained glass dates between 2750 BC and 2600BC in Ancient Egypt. At the Cherry Grove Art Show two weeks ago, there was an artist displaying his stained glass. Not only were these great pieces, but reasonably priced. Rick and I bought two stained glass pieces for our home. We all have seen them in churches, era period houses and even in Tiffany Lamps. Colored glass pieces are put together to form a picture or abstract art.




I have not tried this craft yet. Rick has done small objects such as picture frames, but none as large as the one we bought two weeks ago. It was a full smile in red, black and white.



You will need the following tools:




1. colored glass




2. a pattern




3. glass cutter and glass cutter oil




4. pliers




5. soldering iron, solder wire, flux and flux brush




6. copper foil tape




7. copper wire




8. straightedge or ruler





There are two books I suggest. Patricia Ann Daley's Stained Glass: Step by Step and Ebeling's Basic Stained Glass Making: All the Skills and Tools you will Need.




I do like reading about the hobby I will undertake before I get started. I am certain you can also watch a YouTube video on this hobby.




There is even a Stained Glass Association of America website, http://www.stainedglass.org/




I would love to see your project when finished. I will show you mine one day.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment