Monday, August 29, 2011

AUGUST 30, 2010 WHAT IS CAAT AND WHO IS DON MIGUEL?











"Whatever life takes away from you, let it go." - Don Miguel Ruiz


It is very difficult for me to accept this idea. It is easier said than done. It took me years to accept that life took away my mother. I couldn't understand why. For years I blamed myself as I was there with my father performing CPR. I told myself it was not my fault, but that June 5, 1982 Friday evening haunted me for decades. Today I realize it was not my fault. I have learned by meditating and praying to let things go. I have seen many people unable to let things go and the affect it has on their lives.


Today I was talking to a patient named Tobias. He is full of vigor and strength, yet he has been through the worst of times, especially during WW II. He makes a statement in Hebrew that translates to, "God, I am alive." He states, "Life is a way of imbalance and balance." I love Tobias. He makes me feel so good. I have helped him medically and his statements have helped me psychologically. As we said goodbye, I hugged him and said thank you. He said, "Play your own dance, and play your own life."




If you have never read Don Miguel Ruiz's work, I suggest you do. He is a Mexian author, teacher and shaman born in 1952. He is best known for the book, The Four Agreements. This book is about finding one's own integrity, self love and peace. The four agreements are:




1. Be Impeccable with Your Word


2. Don't take anything personally


3. Don't Make Assumptions


4. Always Do Your Best.




I have a dream - to one day meet Don Miguel Ruiz. His work has always inspired me. The Fifth Agreement is a sequel where the fifth agreement is




5. Be Skeptical but Learn to Listen.


I know there are some who think physicians are rich, drive a BMW, Jaguar or Mercedes, have three houses etc. Lets put that to rest as reimbursement is not what it used to be, and the hours get longer every year. What we do get every single day is frustration and stress.


As an integrative physician I treat a variety of illnesses. One of those illnesses is cancer. I write about herbs that can support and/or treat cancers. I refer patients to institutions in Germany and Italy. I recommend blood tests to identify specific chemotherapy. Today, a dear friend brought information on the A.P. John institute for cancer research. I admire patients who are their own health advocates. This Institute was founded in 1978 by Angelo P. John. It is a non profit organization. Dr John specializes in molecular biology has devoted his whole career to cancer research. For More than twenty years he has focused his life on the role of amino acids in the cancer cell. He identified differences between a cancer cell and a normal cells. He used this differentiation to determine how amino acids in the cancer cells could be altered or eliminated causing the death of the cancer cell. His program, CAAT is an amino acid and carbohydrate deprivation protocol using scientifically formulated amino acids. Many other well known physicians at Johns Hopkins University are utilizing this protocol and have helped determine some supplements that are needed for it. It does not interfere with conventional therapies but only complements and enhances their effectiveness.



This is exactly my philosophy. We must use other modalities if we are to beat cancer. It is depressing when I must tell a patient that he/she has cancer. Then I must discuss the options. At this point I discuss every single option that is available, not only including and limited to chemotherapy. I know if I had had cancer I would not settle for just one opinion. I would have many opinions and would follow through with a physician who is open minded and not critical of integrative therapies.



I admire the A.P. John Institute website (http://www.apjohncancerinstitute.org/). I highly encourage you to read about other therapies whether you have cancer or not. Open your eyes, widen your scope... Be informed.



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment