Monday, August 1, 2011

AUGUST 2, 2011 LOVE FOR ITALY, ESPECIALLY FLORENCE






















"Adventure is not outside, it is within."





Imagine a honey bee soaring high above, feeling one kind of freedom. To experience life fully, it must land on a flower and go through the arduous task of retrieving nectar and carrying pollen back to the hive. Think about the discipline in the bee's routine. From this comes another kind of freedom, to experience the depths of life. I view bees and most insects differently than most people. I view the flight of a bird soaring through the air differently than most people. I have found discipline in my daily life. Not in the sense of obsessive-compulsive discipline but rather my own routine as meditation, exercise, eating lifestyle etc. Can you apply the discipline in your life to explore the depths, and through these depths find another kind of freedom?



Today, I want to 'Be Italian'. I decided to write of Italy, as the song 'Be Italian' from the film, Nine has been in my mind for the last 24 hours. I have been to Italy several times. If someone asked my favorite city or place, I would have trouble answering that question. It is a toss been Positano along the Amalfi Coast, or the city of Fierze (or Florence).

Of all Italian Cities, I have visited Florence the most. Probably because it is a city in which I can walk, ponder, rest and laugh. It is a city rich in culture, color, beauty and light. At Wheaton College, I had the distinct pleasure of listening to herbalist Paolo Luzzi lecture. He is visiting from the Botanical Garden of Florence. His two lectures were entitled, "Traditional Medicinal Plants of Tuscany" and "Terra nata, specula Dei." As he lectured and talked of Florence and Tuscany I was transported back to a time in my life where I should have cared more about myself. I had the opportunity to visit Florence again 5 years ago getting off a cruise ship at the port of Livorno. I appreciated that opportunity to apologize to the city and its gardens. It allowed me to make peace with myself. In my wildest dreams I never thought I would write about this, nor about the trees, plants and flowers in Florence.



So with Paolo vision and the insight from Professor Romano Gellini, a new flowerbed is devoted to wild plants and medicinal herbs naturalized in Tuscany. If more countries did this we would have more complete records on these medicinal plants. And more physicians would know that some plants can be used against cancer and/or infections.


No visit to Florence would have prepared me for what I would hear in these lectures. Luzzi's lectures tied in religion and herbal medicine. For example I didn't know that in 1200 the Officina- Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella was one of the oldest pharmacies int he world. It was founded by the Doiminican friars after 1221 when they arrived in Florence. The Santa Maria Novella is one church in Florence that has been photographed many times, but I did NOT know of its significance in herbal medicine.


Nor would I believe that a French abbot, Bernard of Clairaux would turn to trees for the answers to the mystery of life. Then he turned to the mystery of God. Bernard spent 40 years at the cloisters. He studied plants, trees and even bees. He died at age 63. He was the first monk placed on the calendar of Saints. His feast day is August 20 and he was canonized by Pope Alexander III on January 18, 1174. Pope Pius VIII bestowed upon him the title 'Doctor of the Church'.


So herbal medicines play a significant role in history. This gives me further insight in the use of herbs for ceremonial rituals.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment