Monday, August 29, 2011

AUGUST 31, 2011 STICK OUT YOUR TONGUE

















"God is life. God is life in action. The best way to say, "I love you God" is to live life doing your best. The best way to say, "Thank you God," is by letting go of the past and living in the present moment, right here and now. Whatever life takes away from you, let it go. When you surrender and let go of the past, you allow yourself to be fully alive in the moment. Letting go of the past means you can enjoy the dream that is happening right now." - Don Miguel Ruiz




This statement is by Shaman Don Miguel Ruiz . It comes from his heart. I am passing this on to you from my heart. I want you to pass it on to someone else. Have a blessed day.




Did you ever look at your own tongue? One of the first things I learned as a medical student was to ask a patient to stick out their tongue while placing a wooden blade on their tongue down so I could see their uvula, tonsils, and pharynx. I never liked looking at the tongue. Some were red, others were coated with their last meal, some have a white coating and some have ridges. The tongue assists in chewing, swallowing and speaking. The small projections on the tongue are called papillae. Between the papillae are the taste buds.


I have found that conventional physicians know little about the tongue. Over the years I have learned about the 'mysterious tongue'. Traditional Chinese practitioners are the best health care practitioners for tongue diagnosis. They specialize in acupuncture and botanical medicine. Dentists also observe the tongue. There are even a few books on tongue diagnosis. A simple one is by Victor Zeines, DDS.




In traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), tongue diagnosis is part of every exam. These practitioners use the terms "chi" (pronounced chee), yin and yang. TCM practitioners believe disease is caused by "six excesses" and "seven emotions". I have not mastered TCM at this point in my career. I feel it is a complex field that takes time, dedication and patience. But when I view a patient's tongue I can get a feel for what is going on in their body.




For example I saw a tongue today that had a thick non removable whitish covering. It was not the typical yeast infection on the tongue called Candida. If not caused by Candida the whitish tongue can be caused by parasites, anemia, malnourishment or kidney disorders. In this patient I know it is the body releasing toxins. I also see this type of tongue in patients with unbalanced hormones or adrenal fatigue.






Think of the variety of colors of the tongue:




1. Pale



2. Gray or brownish-gray



3. Slightly red



4. Crimson red



5. Yellowish-greenish



6. Purple



7. Black




The coating of the tongue can also be varied. No one said Tongue Diagnosis would be easy.



As a registered herbalist I do have favorite herbs for improving and maintaining digestion. Some of these are marshmellow, catnip, golden seal, comfrey root, pepperment and my favorite, angelica. Oh yes I forgot meadowsweet and slippery elm.




I would suggest reading Your Tongue Never Lies by Victor Zeines, DDS. To purchase a copy, visit natdent.com







Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment