Wednesday, August 24, 2011

AUGUST 26, 2010 HOUSE PLANT CULTIVATION
























"NINETY PERCENT OF ALL HUMAN WISDOM IS THE ABILITY TO MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS." - Robert A Heinlein



I wish I had said this quote. We all should mind our own business, not someone else's. Can you mind you own business? Do you have a tendency to meddle in others' affairs? Are you addicted to drama? Perhaps finding a hobby to boost your own self esteem would help you refrain from drifting off into watching others instead of yourself.



Take care of your 'own house' first.



CARING FOR HOUSE PLANTS can be as complicated as taking care of a pet or even a child. You first have to decide which cultivated plant you want to grow. There are 5 categories that I consider. I have done orchids. I love orchids and after attending the New York Orchid Society meetings I have much success with the common as well as the uncommon species. The family, Orchidaceae is one of the largest plant families. I believe the next might be the Lily family. There are more than 24,000 species. I would start with the simple elephant ear, Phalenopsis. I love white, or light pink.



Another exotic houseplant that takes dedication, time, and patience are bonsai. Bonsai is usually a tree that has been intentionally kept small by root and crown pruning. I find it so interesting that these small plants have the same genes as their life sized counterpart. You need the right light and right amount of water. I have tried to cultivate bonsai. A friend, John in Rhode Island is a well known bonsai grower. He loves his plants, and as a true cultivator has been to Japan and attends Bonsai meetings. I have not been that fortunate in this endeavour.

Bonsai originated in the Tang Dynasty (from 618 - 907 C.E.) in China. Yes China. It was brought to Japan during the Heian era (800-1200 C.E.). The first time the West was introduced to Bonsai was during the Paris Exhibition in 1878. I have always been interested in World's Fairs. The third World's Fair in Paris in 1878 was called Exposition Universelle. As with the New York World's Fair of 1939, this Paris 1878 fair introduced many inventions. Alexander Graham Bell's telephone was on display and well as the completed head of the State of Liberty (later to be sent to the United States for the New York Harbor) Thomas Edison even displayed his megaphone and phonograph.




One group of plants I loved as a child was the carnivorous plants. These plants derive much of their nutrition from consuming animals, usually in the form of insects. Did you ever have a Venus Fly Trap? Other insect eating plants (not Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors) are the sundew and pitcher plants. I will start growing one once I find a source.



The most common house plants may be African violets. They have the ability to flower year round. These plants with their delicate petals (typically purple) brighten up any room. The heart shaped leaves are favorites for grandmothers. These plants need 10-14 hours of sunlight and the rest of time in darkness. I think they are best grown under plant lights. The soil must be moist and not wet. Violets were discovered in Tanzania (Africa) by a German officer named Baron Walter von Saint Paul-Ilaire. It was by chance that he came upon these plants. Their popularity across Europe was due to him sending them to his father. His father was a botanist and the rest is history. A nice story...




Today many books can be found for any one of these cultivated plants. I would suggest reading a book on the specific houseplant you want to cultivate. You could also join a Horticulture Society in your city. I usually consult http://www.theplantexpert.com/



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment