Monday, August 22, 2011

AUGUST 23, 2011 DOCTRINE OF SIGNATURE










"Many situations can be clarified by the passing of time." Theodore Isaac Rubin



This quote can be combined with the song , "Time Heals Everything" by Jerry Herman's Mack and Mabel. In truth, time does heal everything. It heals the loss of a loved one; it heals pain. The open line of communication is very important in any relationship. If there is some sort of disagreement between two people, it can be solved if both parties meet. However, the perception of the situation is different for each individual. This is why it is important to discuss problems. Do not let resentment build up. Sometimes the resentment can be from years ago, but it just comes up as the individual gets older. When the meeting does not resolve the issue it can be tough for both parties. Perhaps there should be a separation or parting of the waves. This could be the hardest of decisions to make, but for self preservation or sanity, sometimes it must be done. I pray and meditate on these situations. It is one day at a time. This is when I recite the serenity prayer over and over again, until the pain of the separation heals my soul.








At the International Herbal Symposium , I was introduced to the Doctrine of Signature of a Plant. As a plant lover and herbalist I feel the energy of plants and I know intuitively which herbs will work for which individuals. I cannot teach you how to read a plant. I do not mean to read about it in a book, but look into the plant. I have found that the most productive way of finding new plant remedies is to truly get to know the plant. For plants that I use a lot I start by researching the historical aspects. This puts my mind in a different place. It allows me to be creative.






Have you ever loved a subject so much that you feel energized? This is how I feel about plants and nature in general. I felt energized yesterday when my friend, Todd and I peeked in on our bees .



How some herbs get their names is quite unusual. An example is the herb Angelica (Angelica archangelica, Angelica atropurpurea). Angelica has been used a food and medicine for centuries. If you are a historian or know someone who is, the herb, angelica is usually associated with the bubonic plague. Some herbalists recount the story that a monk had a dream in which the arch angel St Michael appeared. Her told the monk what herb to use during the plague decimating Europe. Today modern studies have revealed that angelica is an immune booster as well as an anti bacterial, viral and fungal agent. Since this herb is also associated with Mary the Virgin, many herbalists use this herb for gynecological problems. What troubles me is that I do not see it in Duke's Medicinal Plants of the Bible.



I love how some herbalists describe angelica as a flower. They discuss her poise, her stance and her fragrance. You get the feeling that she--Angelica is an actual human being. She is alive in the plant world. Angelica does remind me of the fragrant Convallaria - Lily of the Valley. I do use it to reconnect the patient with their spiritual side. Sometimes the spiritual side of a patient has been lost due to illness, death of a family member, or loss of a job. I think everyone should have angelica in their home.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment