Tuesday, August 23, 2011

AUGUST 25, 2011 ERYTHROXYLAN COCA












"Someday I hope to enjoy enough of what the world calls success that someone will ask me, 'What's the secret of it?' I shall say simply,'I get up when I fall down.'" -Paul Harvey


When I first read this quote, I immediately thought , "Pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again." I feel like life has been this way for some time. It is not only for me, but as life partners--Rick and I are survivors. We are hard workers. I want to tell you- Do not give up at any time. Rick always reminds me, "This too shall pass." And believe me I have used those words until I am exhausted. The quote by Mr Harvey is "I hope or I get..." I can honestly say although uncomfortable at times it has been a honor, pleasure and love to say, "...we hope and we get up." When you are going through times, whether bad or good it always helps when you have the unconditional love of someone who believes in you. I am grateful and You'll Never Know how much I love you.... HB Ricky



After the discovery of Peru, the Spaniards penetrated further into the interior of the country. They found land covered with a cultivated plant whose use was not understood. It resembled the blackhorn bush. It had white flowers. The Spaniards first laughed about the lands filled with this shrub but soon were captivated about the plant miraculous and magical powers.

It was protected by the princes of the land. It was used in rituals and religious rites.It was called Erythroxylon coca.

In 1793 it was recommended to sailors.

By 1891, Dr. Brainerd said this, "Within a few months..the character of this 'drug' habitue is changed and he becomes unfitted for business."

In 1898 , Dr. C.C. Stockard's patients exhibited strange paranoia after using this drug.

In 1897, physician J.W. Springthorpe said, "...every part of the body seems to cry out for a new syringe...one syringe self injected is absolutely sure to produce the fascinating desire for a second."

Also in 1898, Dr. Crothers said something profound, "This drug is probably the most agreeable of all narcotics, therefore the most dangerous and alluring."

Vin Mariani, the elixir of this drug was touted by great admirers. Among them were Thomas Edison, Arthur Conan Doyle (of Sherlock Holmes fame) Emile Zola, HG Wells, and Robert Louis Stevenson. Billie Holiday died from her constant use. Many succumbed to it.

Perhaps two of the best known doctor names were addicts- William Halsted and Sigmund Freud.



The drug is called COCAINE.


Baron Ernst von Bibra translated text, "Plant Intoxicants" has what I think is the best historical aspect of this plant. His book was a pioneering study of psychoactive plants. Not many pages are devoted to coca. In Markel's Anatomy of Addiction, cocaine is beautifully portrayed as a miracle drug. Freud, an avid cocaine addict argued that the drug was not addictive itself; he stated that the person who took it to excess suffered from a personality that put him at risk. He is talking about the addictive personality.


In my clinical years in practice, cocaine is still a problem not exceeding today's crystal meth. Those I meet who tell the truth have said they enjoy taking risks. Some live on the edge. Some have impulsive thoughts and behaviors. Can you recognize an addict? I didn't say a cocaine addict, but a individual with an addictive personality. I can!


Today we know that more than 50% of those diagnosed with a substance addiction also have coexisting mental disorders.These disorders can be anxiety, depression, panic attacks, mood disorders and even attention deficit disorder. Do not be quick to judge an individual based on his addiction. You might not know the other half of the addiction -the mental issue.



Do you have an addiction? An addiction to technology can be a problem. Never shutting off your iPhone, or Blackberry can be an addiction. Those who thrive on family or relationship drama also have an addiction!


What is your addiction?


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment