Thursday, August 11, 2011

AUGUST 15, 2011 ALLIUM CEPA



















"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein




"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix




I think that both wisdom and experience are far more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limitless; I continually try to learn, especially in the last 10 years. I went back to school to study integrative and botanical medicine. It has been an unforgettable experience. Invaluable lessons. The greatest aspect of studying botanical medicine was the wild crafting and lectures in the woods/forests. Sir William Osler (MD) stated, "Medicine is not taught in the classroom, but at the bedside." This is true of botanical/herbal medicine. Recognition of the plants in the woods is gratifying. If I do not know the plant, I can always look it up. Last year I started to study beekeeping. I read countless books, and then took a beekeeping course.





Knowledgeable ...yes. Experienced ...No. I had to become a beekeeper, join bee societies, read more books, and visit a bee operation to gain experience. I had to feel comfortable around these G.O.D. given insects. I had to learn to love bees. In the same respect of hugging a tree, I also pray/meditate prior to going to a hive. I have respect for bees in the same vain that I have respect for the ocean and open seas.



Experience is never forgotten! It is written on your heart.


What is Allium cepa? By looking at the photographs (except the first one ) above you still cannot tell. I certainly could not recognize it in the open field in Nampa Idaho. I was looking at the flowers of an onion plant. I wasn't in Idaho to study onion plants, but to study honeybees. From my previous study of botany, I knew that the onion and garlic were in the same genus, Allium. I did not know that both are part of the Lily Family. We know onions are used as food, but did you know that Allium cepa was widely used in medicine? While reading about the Influenza epidemic of 1918 I found it interesting that some families hung onions upside down in their homes to prevent disease. I have heard about hanging garlic upside down for vampires, but nothing about hanging onions until now.



The Romans regarded onions as a symbol of eternity. I then read it in Matthew Wood's book, The Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants. I always find it interesting to find a plant/herb in Duke's Medicinal Plants of the Bible.




Onions were widely used during Biblical times, yet only mentioned in the three versions of the bible ( KJV, RSV and NWT) It was mentioned in Numbers 11:5-6 in all 3 versions.





" We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlic. But our soul is dried away; there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes. "




Like my experience with cabbage, onions have the ability to draw out of a wound. It is great to draw out poisons, mucus and pus. I wonder if it will draw out a bee stick and venom. It is considered a warm remedy. Although most of us cry/tear from its pungent odour it is great for the chest. It can liquefy mucous and stimulate cough reflexes. I wouldn't recommend it as a cough syrup as elderberry and ginger. I always find more written about garlic ( Allium sativum) than onions.




I find the fact that some studies have indicated that organ osulfurs present in onions as well as garlic, broccoli and cauliflower may be effective in preventing cancers of the prostate, liver, colon and gastrointestinal tract. I find this contrary to other studies which indicate that these organo sulfurs can cause cancer. Some of these organosulfur compounds with long names, abbreviated , SAMC( S-allylmercaptocysteine) and DADS( diallyl disulfide- especially found in garlic) have been indicated to increase activity of Phase II enzymes in the gastroiintstinal tract. This increase in enzymes may lead to a decreased risk of certain cancers.
Also onions contain a bioflavinoid, quercetin. This particular bioflavinoid has the potential for inhibiting platelet aggregation. ( Apples also contain quercetin) Onions also rich in Vitamin C, sulphur and mineral salts.




I have read studies from the American Botanical Council and their herbalgram that onions lower blood sugar. There are few reports about the decrease in low density lipoproteins ( LDL) and raising the high density lipoproteins (HDL)




The message is for you to start eating onions...




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment