Wednesday, August 10, 2011

AUGUST 14, 2011 PART I: BOISE, IDAHO AND SERENITY














































"I am certainly NOT one of those who need to be prodded. In fact if anything I AM THE PROD." - Winston Churchill





Well, what can I say. I was never the guy who needed to be told, prodded or poked. I was usually the one who did the poking or prodding. As a child and later a teenager it was probably not always the wisest thing to do. I never fought with my hands. I never wanted to hurt anyone. Usually my prodding was with my witty, whimsical, and sometimes wicked tongue. I fought with the vocabulary from my mouth. Of course 'name calling' is still used today among children, teenagers and even some adults. I was used to hearing nerd, faggot or gender bender or anything else you might think of. I did not physically fight back, but I used my vocabulary. I had some bruises.








Today I prod to provoke emotion. I use my intuitive sense to 'feel' the individual's emotions. I prod only to help someone. I do know when to stop. I prod to allow the individual to think about his/her own life. My first twelve step sponsor prodded me all the time and that finally allowed me to discuss my problems openly. I got angry then. I hardly get angry now. I get emotional (what Italian doesn't!) I get disappointed, but expectations are something I constantly work on so I do not get disappointed as much as I used to. Some of my friends might think my prodding is too much. I am a human being who happens (by the fortune of a higher power) to love to heal. Simply stated!




Have you ever been to Idaho? Until this past weekend neither had I. It was 4 days that I will never forget. Not only due to the company of Suzanne, Jen, Rick, and Randy and his family, but the fields, the air, and of course, the honeybees. Rick commented after seeing a wheat field, "I know what 'amber waves of grain' really means now!" I know some of you might be frightened at the thought of holding honey bees or having them on your hands, face and body, but do not be scared. If you ever had a bee sting as a child or adult it probably was not a honeybee, but rather a wasp, yellow jacket or bumblebee. The bees are gifts from G.O.D. We all need to do everything we can to save the honeybees. They have given us so much-- fruits, almonds, vegetables and honey (just to name a few) for centuries. We must now give back. For me, the honeybees also give me serenity, love, happiness and peace.


There are many books on Honeybees and Beekeeping. In the first photograph above are two great books on Bees. I have acquired two original books--The HoneyBee published in 1905 and Fifty Years Among the Bees (1915) by physician/beekeeper, CC Miller. I have been reading Seeley's book, Honeybee Democracy. The book's focus is on how to manage a swarm and why bees swarm. In the field of Migratory Beekeeping there is little time for the bees to swarm as they are always pollinating different mono crops. This is a problem. This natural process is not allowed to happen. This was brought up in the film, Queen of the Sun (http://www.queenofthesun.com/). Honeybees swarm as a natural impulse and are able to produce new colonies in this manner. When the mother queen leaves with almost half to one third of the bees gone, I as a beekeeper am worried about the bees remaining. My hive will be weakened, and I must try to find my swarm. Hopefully , someone in Fire Island will call Rick or I to fetch our swarm. After this past weekend, I was at ease with the 'ladies' as I opened the hive and played with the bees in the 'Honey processing Plant'.





There is so much to learn about honeybees. I am so thankful and grateful that I have the honeybees in my life. You can learn how to help the honeybees too!




On August 20, 2011 is the Third Annual National Honey Bee Day. Find out more at

http://www.nationalhoneybeeday.com/ On this website, you can also support a national program to protect honeybees from Colony Collapse Disorder. I am asking you to visit this site and help this program gain momentum. I have downloaded the petition form and will start to get signatures. If you are not a beekeeper and want to get involved--this is one way to assist. You can also be flower conscious and choose species that encourage honeybees, butterflies and moths to visit your garden.





If you want to learn more about classes you can visit your local beekeeping group such as NYC beekeeping or Long Island Beekeeping, You can also take classes on August 21st 2011 at http://www.honeybeelives.org/ There are beginner classes as well as advanced classes for maintaining your hive.

Did you know that a beehive can provide many products such as wax, honey, royal jelly, and propolis? In addition do not forget the major contribution bees make to the global ecology by sustaining pollination for most of the wild and cultivated flora. Honeybees are supreme as pollinators.



The following can be harvested from the hive:


1. Bees Wax is secreted by the young bees. It is molded into strong perfectly shaped hexagonal shaped comb cells for broad and honey storage. Honey sealed in wax comb has an extra long shelf life. Honey has been found in the tombs of Pharaohs. The wax can be used for candles (beeswax candles burn longer) salves, herbal preparations and many products.






2. Propolis - Resin substance gathered from plants and barks of trees to strengthen the hive structure. Acts like super glue. It also has antiseptic, antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Used in many topical preparations, especially herbal preps.






3. Royal Jelly - special nutritious food produced by nurse bees to feed young larva. Those fed with royal jelly have a destiny - to become a queen The royal jelly is rich in amino acids, vitamins, lipids and enzymes. A very excellent food supplement.






4. Bee Venom - toxic liquid that is injected during a bee sting. The several proteins/enzymes causes the inflammation. There have been medical reports that bee venom has been used to treat symptoms of arthritis, other auto immune conditions as well as multiple sclerosis. To learn more about bee venom, visit the American Apitherapy Society or http://www.apitherapy.org/






The last yet undisputed product produced is HONEY. There are countless types of honey available. More to come






Until tomorrow...



Do not forget to look at the photos

2 comments:

  1. A love letter to the bees...

    I love bees, and delight when I see them in my garden or anywhere they go. I definitely plant herbs and flowers that bees love.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

    ReplyDelete