Sunday, August 28, 2011

AUGUST 29, 2011 A SIMPLE CURE FOR YOUR INFLAMMATION














"Courage is knowing what not to fear." - Plato

Even centuries ago, Plato had it right. What do you fear? Do you have any courage left in your body? I used to fear everything. I used to fear the thought of dying. Now I do not. I even welcome it because each of us one day will die. I am prepared. I used to fear that I was not a good father. Probably this fear could be detected by my children when they were small. Yet today I know I was the best father I could be at that time in my life. I have courage today. Mainly my courage has come from the courage of my patients. I have seen courage beyond my wildest dreams. I have seen men and women struggle with cancer, and I have seen men and women who have accept their cancer and do the best they can do. Those inflicted with any illness sometimes show the courage beyond reproach. They have courage and know what not to fear. There is acceptance. I have acceptance today in areas I never thought I would have. It took prayer and meditation. I an a very grateful man.




Oh, HB Alexandria/Alyssa, the eldest and most beautiful



So you woke up very sore. Do you have tired muscles? It is so easy to take the OTC anti-inflammatory drugs like advil, alleve, motrin, excedrin etc. There are serum markers for inflammation such as sed rate (ESR), IL-6 , CRP and TNF (tumor necrosis factor). In cardiology we also have the HS-CRP or high sensitive CRP. The most common anti inflammatory agent used are omega 3 fatty acids or fish oils.

The omega 3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fatty acids essential for the proper function and structure of multiple body systems. These include EPA and DHA which can be obtained from oils derived from salmon, sardines, mackerel and anchovies. There is extensive data on their anti-inflammatory effects. They both inhibit the pro-inflammatory compounds. Studies indicate there is an inverse relationship between omega 3 levels and CRP. The higher the omega 3 the lower the CRP. Here is another important inverse relationship: the TG (triglyceride) and HDL (good cholesterol). The higher the intake of carbohydrates, the higher the TG and the lower the HDL. To have a higher good cholesterol (HDL), you must consume less refined carbohydrates.



You might ask, "How much fish oil should I take?" The answer is never the same as I believe in individuality. I usually prescribe somewhere between 2 grams to 10 grams., The usual dose is 4 grams or 4,000mg. In the case of cardiovascular disease I always prescribe more especially in the ratio of EPA to DHA.


If you do not eat fish or are afraid to eat fish due to mercury and arsenic, then take fish oils from Nordic Naturals, Longevity, or Life Extension. If you want quality fish which tastes so much better than you are used to go to http://www.vitalchoice.com/



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment